These came with his mother when she immigrated here from the Czech Republic. They are the best I've ever had, definitely worth the time! I hope you all like them as much as I do!
- 1 cup milk, scalded
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 grated lemon, rind of
- 1 package yeast
- 2 beaten eggs
- 3 cups sifted flour
- Filling: Mix together with electric mixer until well combined and fill into centers of kolacky dough.
- **For the Kolacky dough**.
- Combine milk, shortening, Sugar, salt and lemon rind.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Soften yeast in this mixture.
- Add eggs and flour.
- Beat well.
- Cover with damp cloth.
- Let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 2 hours.
- Beat and let rise again until almost doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Turn onto lightly floured surface.
- Knead slightly, cover and let rise 10 minutes.
- Roll to ½ inch thickness.
- Cut into 5-inch rounds.
- Place on a greased baking sheet, cover and let rise until almost double.
- Make deep depression in the center of rounds, fill centers and bake in preheated 400-degree oven for 15 minutes.