Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This came from my Grandmother who received it from her mother who moved here from Czechoslovokia.
- 2 lbs cubed Beef, about 1/2 inch
- 2 lbs of cubed Pork, about 1/2 inch
- 2 tablespoons oil, to brown your meat
- 2 teaspoons pickling spices
- 1 cup chopped onions (preferably sweet)
- 2 (15 ounces) cans of diced stewed tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounces) bottle catsup (preferably Heinz)
- 1 (10 ounces) can tomato soup (preferably Campbells)
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red peppers
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon good whiskey (I use Black Jack Daniels)
- Heat oil in large Dutch oven (large stew pot) on high heat.
- Combine Beef and Pork and begin to brown in oil on all sides.
- When meat is browned on all sides add Onion; add enough water to cover the meat and onions mixture.
- Tie pickling spices in a cheesecloth or, us a metal tea ball only half full.
- Spices will expand while cooking.
- Drop cheesecloth or teaball into meat mixture.
- Simmer mixture for 45 minutes.
- Add ingredients from cans, diced tomatoes, tomato soup, and catsup; stir mixture well.
- Finally add all the spices as measured, the vinegar and the whiskey!
- Turn fire or heat to a low setting and simmer for 1 hour with lid on the pot.
- Check and stir frequently to prevent the bottom from scorching or burning.
- Remove pickling spice container and discard before serving