Polish duck soup
- fowl (duck or goose) trimming and blood
- 1½ lb spare ribs
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 bunch parsley (small)
- 1 small onion
- 4 allspice buds
- 4 whole cloves
- salt to taste
- 3 whole peppers
- 10 dried prunes
- dried apples or pears
- 15 cherries or raisins
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup sweet cream
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ cup vinegar
- Put vinegar into glass or crockery bowl (not metal) and into this catch the blood when killing the duck or goose and stir to avoid coagulation. Fresh pigs blood may also be used.
- Cover the fowl trimmings and spare ribs with water, bring to a boil and skim.
- Put spices, celery, onion and parsley into a sack and add to soup.
- Cook slowly until meat is almost done, about 2 hours.
- Remove spice sack add fruit and cook for ½ hour more.
- Blend flour with ½ cup of the blood mixture, add 3 tbsp soup stock, and pour into soup, stirring constantly.
- Add sugar and cream and bring to a boil.
- Serve with egg noodles or potato dumplings.