Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 1large Aubergine
- 2 large potatoes. cooked, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 glass (1100ml) olive or sunflower oil
- 2 Medium onions sliced
- 1 lb (500g) minced Beef or Lamb
- 2 large tomatoes, grated, or one 4OOg tin of tomatoes
- I/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon or 1 stick cinnamon
- l /2 teaspoon rigani or dried oregano
- 1/2 glass (100ml) red wine
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the white sauce
- 3oz (75g) butter
- 4 level tablespoons flour
- 1 pint warm milk
- ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1glass (2oz) grated Cheese - hallotimi, Kefalotiri or Cheddar
3. In another- pan fry the, onions in the, rest of the, oil till soft then add the meat and stir to break it up. Add the tomatoes, herbs, spices, seasoning and the wine and continue to cook for about 25 minutes when the liquid should have been absorbed.
4. For the white sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan, stir in the flour and then add the warm milk gradually, whisking hard to remove any lumps. Take the saucepan away from the heat and stir in the seasoning, spices and Cheese. Make sure that the sauce has cooled before adding the eggs.