Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 2 cups water
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ cup canned white beans (Cannellini or navy beans), drained
- Salt, to taste (optional)
- Chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan then add carrots and cook for about 7–8 minutes or until tender. Drain then set aside.
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, curry and cumin and cook until onion is tender (about 4–5 minutes.)
- Place carrots and onion mixture in a food processor or blender then add beans and salt (if using.) Blend until smooth or to desired consistency.
- Transfer to a bowl, garnish with cilantro and serve with your favorite crackers or bread slices.
- Serving Suggestion
- Spread on toasted French bread rounds or any chips and crackers or use as a dip for fresh vegetable sticks.
- Curry, Carrot and Black Bean Spread from the Public Health Cookbook by the Seattle & King County Department of Public Health—original source of recipe, government resource in the public domain