Makes 6 servings
- vegetable cooking spray
- 1½ pound bay scallops
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 x 8-ounce bottle clam juice
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1 red apple, cored and chopped
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- 6 cups hot cooked rice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon diced pimento
- Chutney, chopped peanuts, grated coconut, and raisins for condiments (optional)
- Coat large skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat until hot.
- Add scallops; cook until scallops are almost done, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove scallops from skillet; keep warm.
- Melt margarine in skillet; add onion and cook 1 to 2 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in flour and salt; cook, stirring, 2 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Gradually add clam juice and milk, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Stir in scallops, apple and curry powder. Keep warm.
- Combine rice, parsley and pimento; pack into 2-quart ring mold coated with cooking spray.
- Unmold onto serving platter and fill center of ring with curried scallops.
- Serve with chutney, chopped peanuts, coconut and raisins.