- Heat the fat-free broth/water in a heavy-bottomed soup pot, 2-quart saucepan, or Dutch oven and sauté the onion with 1 clove of the garlic until it begins to turn translucent.
- Add the ginger, turmeric, and curry powder and saute for a few minutes longer.
- Add more broth/water, if necessary, and the rice, and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the lentils, water, bouillon cubes, remaining garlic, raisins, and sunflower seeds and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add the apples and simmer, covered, for another 10 to 15 minutes, or until the water is absorbed.
- Serve topped with yogurt and the additional raisins.