Makes 6 servings
- 6 pork chops, ¾-inch (about 1½ pounds)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- salt and ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 firm, ripe bananas, sliced diagonally
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 x 15½- to 16-ounce can tomatoes, drain, chop and reserve liquid
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 3 whole cloves
- ¼ teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- ½ cup pitted ripe olives, sliced
- Brown pork chops in hot oil in large skillet.
- Season with salt and pepper. Remove; keep warm.
- Add curry powder and bananas to skillet; stir to coat over low heat. Remove bananas.
- Add garlic, onion and 1½ teaspoons salt to skillet; cook until tender.
- Stir in tomato juice and enough water to make 2⅓ cups liquid.
- Add rice, cloves and pepper sauce. Top with chops.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer 20 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Remove chops; discard cloves.
- Stir in tomatoes and place bananas on top of rice mixture and heat through.
- Serve chops with rice and bananas.