Most Africans always have a number of salads to compliment the meats. Curried carrot salad is no exception.
- Makes 3,5 liters (14 cups) of curried carrots
- 2 kg carrots
- 1 kg onions
- 1 litre white vinegar
- 800 g sugar
- 150 g seedless raisins
- 15 ml salt
- 5 ml whole cloves
- 5 ml black peppercorns
- 50 ml cornflour
- 50 ml curry powder
- Peel the carrots and slice thinly.
- Cover the slices with water and boil till just soft.
- Peel and halve the onions.
- Slice thinly.
- Cover the onions with boiling water and leave to stand for 15 minutes.
- Drain the carrots and onions.
- Add the white vinegar, sugar, raisins, salt, cloves and black peppercorns to the vegetables and bring to the boil.
- Mix the corn flour and curry powder with 250 ml (1 cup) water.
- Add the curry mixture to the carrot mixture and boil for about 10 minutes.
- Stir occasionally.
- Spoon the hot curried carrots into clean hot jars and seal immediately.