Makes 4 servings.
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1¾ cups water
- 1 apple, cored, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Cook onion in butter in large saucepan over medium heat until tender.
- Add rice, curry powder and salt; cook 2 minutes.
- Stir in water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 15 minutes or until rice is tender and water is absorbed. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Add apple, almonds and cilantro to rice mixture; mix lightly.