The good news the red lentils in these spicy, Indian-inspired vegetarian burgers don't need to be soaked and cook super quickly. What's more, they are rich in b vitamins, fiber and folate, which help fight heart disease and birth defects.
- Contributed by Indiancuisineandculture Y-Group
- Source: [Http://Www.Foodandwine.Com/Recipes/Cumin-Spiced-Red-Lentil-Burgers Food & Wine]
- Total Time: 1 Hr
- Serves: 4
- 1½ cups red lentils
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¾ cup plain, dry bread crumbs
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped parsley leaves
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- In a large saucepan, cover the lentils with cold water by 2 inches and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to moderate and simmer the lentils until they are very tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain the lentils well.
- Preheat the broiler.
- In a medium skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil.
- Add the onion and cook over moderately high heat, stirring frequently, until golden, about 6 minutes.
- Add the carrots and two-thirds of the garlic and cook until the carrots begin to soften, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the cumin and cayenne and remove from the heat.
- Mix in the bread crumbs, 3 tablespoons of the parsley, the eggs, salt and pepper.
- Form the mixture into sixteen ¼-cup burgers.
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Brush the foil and both sides of the burgers with the remaining ¼ cup of olive oil.
- Broil until golden,about 3 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the yogurt with the lemon juice and the remaining garlic and 1 tablespoon of parsley.
- Serve the burgers hot, with the yogurt sauce on the side.
Make Ahead Edit
The lentil burgers can be prepared through step 10 and refrigerated overnight.
Nutritional information Edit
- 621 calories | 27 gm total fat | 4.3 gm saturated fat | 71 gm carb | 11 gm fiber