Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The good news the red lentils in these spicy, Indian-inspired vegetarian burgers don't need to be soaked and cook super quickly. What's more, they are rich in b vitamins, fiber and folate, which help fight heart disease and birth defects.
- Contributed by Indiancuisineandculture Y-Group
- Source: [Http://Www.Foodandwine.Com/Recipes/Cumin-Spiced-Red-Lentil-Burgers Food & Wine]
- Total Time: 1 Hr
- Serves: 4
- 1½ cups red lentils
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¾ cup plain, dry bread crumbs
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped parsley leaves
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- In a large saucepan, cover the lentils with cold water by 2 inches and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to moderate and simmer the lentils until they are very tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain the lentils well.
- Preheat the broiler.
- In a medium skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil.
- Add the onion and cook over moderately high heat, stirring frequently, until golden, about 6 minutes.
- Add the carrots and two-thirds of the garlic and cook until the carrots begin to soften, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the cumin and cayenne and remove from the heat.
- Mix in the bread crumbs, 3 tablespoons of the parsley, the eggs, salt and pepper.
- Form the mixture into sixteen ¼-cup burgers.
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Brush the foil and both sides of the burgers with the remaining ¼ cup of olive oil.
- Broil until golden,about 3 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the yogurt with the lemon juice and the remaining garlic and 1 tablespoon of parsley.
- Serve the burgers hot, with the yogurt sauce on the side.
Make Ahead Edit
The lentil burgers can be prepared through step 10 and refrigerated overnight.
Nutritional information Edit
- 621 calories | 27 gm total fat | 4.3 gm saturated fat | 71 gm carb | 11 gm fiber