This is a refreshing, Asian inspired cucumber salad. I got this from the Williams Sonoma "Cooking from the Farmers Market" cookbook. The Sugar listed in the ingredients list was not in the original recipe, but I added it to suit our tastes. Cook time is maximum marinating time.
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- ½-1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 2 medium cucumbers, slices paper thin
- ¼ cup minced red onions
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- In a bowl, combine the rice vinegar, peanut oil, soy sauce, sesame oil and crushed red pepper and sugar (if using) and wisk well.
- Add cucumbers and red onion, and toss them in dressing.
- Cover and refrigerate for an hour or up to 24 hours.
- To serve, sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and chopped cilantro.
- Can be served chilled or at room temperature.