Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- In a large pot, bring the water to a boil and add the salt.
- Add the lentils, reduce the heat to low, and cook covered for 30 minutes.
- The lentils should be tender but not mushy.
- Take care not to overcook them or they can fall apart.
- While the lentils are cooking, in a medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium-low heat.
- Add the garlic and cook gently for 5 to 6 minutes, or until softened and just slightly golden.
- Do not allow to brown.
- Remove from the heat and add the cumin, coriander, cayenne, and salt.
- Stir in the vinegar and then transfer the mixture to a large serving bowl.
- Drain the lentils in a colander, and immediately transfer them to the bowl.
- Toss together until the lentils are evenly coated with the dressing, then drizzle the remaining 4 tablespoons of olive oil over the top and toss again just to mix.
- Cool to room temperature, stir in the scallions and jícama, and serve immediately, or refrigerate for 1 or 2 hours, to allow the flavors to marry.
- Garnish with sprigs of parsley and lemon wedges.