Makes 6 servings.
- 6 slices Bacon, diced
- 1 cup chopped Onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium fresh tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup diced fully-cooked Ham
- 1 cup dried black beans, cooked and well-seasoned
- Cook Bacon in large skillet over low heat. Pour off fat. Return 1 tablespoon to skillet.
- Add Onion and garlic; cook over medium heat 2 minutes.
- Stir in rice, salt, turmeric, red pepper and water.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add tomato, pepper and Ham; simmer 5 minutes longer, or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Serve yellow rice in deep bowls and spoon beans in center.