Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Source: Southern Living 2007 Main Dish Marvels
- Prep: 25 minutes | Cook: 5 hr, 15 min
- Makes 4 – 6 servings
- ¾ lb skinned and boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ¾ lb skinned and boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14½ oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- ½ lb fully cooked ham, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 (14 oz) can chicken broth
- 2 (3½ oz) bags boil-in-bag rice
- 1 lb unpeeled medium raw shrimp
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp hot sauce (like Frank's or Tabasco)
- Sprinkle chick with salt, black and red pepper.
- Heat oil in large skillet over high heat.
- Add chicken; cook 4 – 5 minutes stirring occasionally, until browned.
- Add large chopped onion and next 3 ingredients to skillet; saute 4 minutes until tender.
- Transfer to slow cooker.
- Add tomatoes, ham and broth to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low 5 hours.
- Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions. Set aside.
- Peel shrimp, and devein.
- Stir shrimp, cooked rice and remaining ingredients into slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high 15 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.