Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- From: Southern Living 2007 Slow Cooked Sides
- Prep: 20 min Cook: 8 hr, 30 min Stand: 8 hr
- Makes 12 cups.
Jalapeño pepper and Mexican-style stewed tomatoes spice up these black-eyed peas.
- 1 (16-oz) package dried black-eyed peas
- 4 green onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 (3-oz) package pepperoni slices, diced
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 (14.5-oz) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes (Rotel)
- ¾ cup uncooked quick rice
- Place peas in a 5-qt slow cooker. Cover with water 2 inched above peas. Let stand 8 hours. Drain.
- Combine peas and next 8 ingredients in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low 8 hours or until beans are tender. Stir in tomatoes and rice.
- Cover and cook on low 30 more minutes or until rice is tender.