I adapted my grandmother's Boston baked beans recipe that we make in the crockpot. I left the mustard in but there's so little of it that you could easily leave it out.
- Contributed by Sarah Natividad via FOODALLERGYKITCHEN Y-Group
- 1 lb small white dry beans
- ⅛ pound of salt pork or bacon (my son is allergic to pork so I used shortening and a little bit of smoke flavoring)
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp molasses
- ½ tsp mustard
- 1 medium onion diced
- ¼ cup catsup
- Prepare beans.
- Wash beans and remove clinkers (small rocks).
- Par boil in large pot or spaghetti cooker for 1½ hours.
- Place beans in slow cooker with other ingredients, add water just to cover the beans, and cook until beans are thick and dark brown, usually 8 – 12 hours stirring occasionally.
- For variations add more onions or condiments.
- For BBQ style, add chopped green pepper, double sugar and molasses and substitute BBQ sauce for catsup.