My favorite beef stew
- Submitted by: angelgoddess3 - ECPR
- Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
- 3 carrots, cut lengthwise into halves, then cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 ribs celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large potatoes, peel and cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1½ cups chopped onions
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1½ tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ¾ tsp. dried thyme leaves
- ¾ tsp. dried basil leaves
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 pounds lean beef stew, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can (14½ ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14 ounces) beef broth
- ½ cup cold water
- Layer ingredients in crockpot in following order: carrots, celery, potatoes, onions, garlic, bay leaf, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, basil, pepper, beef, tomatoes with juice and broth.
- Cover and cook on low 8 to 9 hours.
- Remove beef and vegetables to large serving bowl, cover and keep warm.
- Remove bay leaf and discard.
- Turn crockpot to high, cover.
- Stir water into flour in a small bowl until smooth.
- Add ½ cup cooking liquid, mix well.
- Stir flour mixture into crockpot.
- Cover and cook 15 minutes or until thickened.
- Pour sauce over meat.