Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Source: Southern Living 2007 Main Dish Marvels
- Make Ahead | Prep: 18 minutes | Cook: 12 hr
- Makes 8 servings
- 2 (2-lb) beef briskets, trimmed
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 parsnips, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, quartered
- 12 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 (1-oz) envelope dry onion soup mix
- 1 (14-oz) can low-sodium beef broth
- ¾ cup dry red wine
- ½ cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp Beau Monde seasoning
- 8 garlic cloves
- ¾ cup chopped fresh parsley
- garnish: fresh thyme sprigs
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large non-stick skillet.
- Add beef; cook 4 minutes on each side until browned.
- Transfer beef to a 6-qt slow cooker.
- Add carrot and next 5 ingredients.
- Whisk together soup mix and next 6 ingredients.
- Pour mixture evenly over beef.
- Cover and cook on low 12 hours or until tender.
- Transfer beef to a serving platter.
- Pour remaining vegetable mixture through a wire-mesh strainer, reserving juices, carrot, and onion.
- Discard remaining vegetable mixture.
- Serve beef and vegetables with juices.
- Garnish, if desired.