A Catfish recipe.
- 4 U.S. farm-raised catfish fillets, cut into strips 1 inch in diameter
- 8 cups canola oil
- ½ cup corn syrup
- 1 cup orange juice
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 stalk fresh lemon grass
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 cup rice flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 cups water
Asian slaw Edit
- 2 cups sunflower sprouts or Italian flat-leaf parsley
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- 5 French breakfast radishes or red radishes, thinly sliced
Glazed catfish Edit
- Heat canola oil in a deep fryer or a large, heavy saucepan to 350°F.
- Mix corn syrup and fruit juices in a medium saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat until reduced by half.
- Add soy sauce, lemon grass, fish sauce, red pepper flakes, ginger and garlic and simmer for 1 minute.
- Remove lemon grass stalk and discard.
- Set glaze aside and keep warm.
- Mix flours, cornstarch, baking powder and water in a large bowl.
- Dip catfish pieces into the batter.
- Add to the hot oil and cook, turning over to brown on all sides, until crispy and fish flakes when tested with a fork.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Add catfish to glaze and toss until well coated.