Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
A Catfish recipe for whole catfish paired with a slaw featuring Asian spices and vegetables.
- 2 U.S. farm-raised catfish, gutted (about 1 pound each)
- 8 – 10 slices garlic, cut into slivers
- 8 – 10 slices fresh ginger
- ¼ cup sesame oil
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Asian Slaw Edit
- 1 cup of each of the following:
- ½ cup cooked sticky or jasmine rice
- ½ teaspoon black sesame seed
- for garnish: fresh cilantro leaves
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons Asian chile paste (see note)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- for the slaw: cup of each of the following:
- Cut slits in the sides of each catfish. Insert slivers of garlic and ginger into slits. Coat with sesame oil. Set aside on a wax paper-lined baking sheet.
- Pour milk into a shallow dish. Place flour in shallow dish or on a piece of wax paper and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat peanut oil in a deep fryer, a wok or a large, deep skillet to 350°F on a deep-frying thermometer. Roll each catfish in milk, then dredge in the seasoned flour. Place one catfish at a time in the hot oil and fry, turning to cook on all sides, about 8 minutes or until golden brown and fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Drain on paper towels. Arrange a thin layer of Asian slaw on each serving plate and top with fried catfish. Sprinkle with black sesame seeds and serve with sticky or jasmine rice. Garnish with cilantro leaves.