Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This chicken and vegetable soup is an Argentinean classic. It is as thick as a stew and as creamy as a bisque.
- 6 servings
- 1 hour 10 minutes 5
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 3½ chicken breasts, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 3 large russet potatoes, peeled cut into chunks
- 6 carrots, cut into 2-inch
- 3 ears corn, cut into 3-inch
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- ½ cup cream
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot (optional)
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400 °F.
- Spread half of the onions in a large, deep baking dish.
- Place chicken on top.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle garlic, thyme and bay leaves over chicken.
- Spread remaining onions on top; drizzle with 1 cup stock.
- Roast uncovered for 30 minutes, or until chicken turns golden around the edges.
- Place chicken (remove skin, if desired), onions, garlic and herbs in a 6-quart soup pot.
- Deglaze roasting pan with some water or stock and add to the pot.
- Add the remaining stock and the potatoes to the pot.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, then add the carrots and corn.
- Simmer for 25 minutes.
- Using a wide fork, roughly mash at least 4 of the "falling apart" potato chunks to help thicken the soup.
- Beat egg yolk into the cream, then beat in ½ cup of the stock from the soup pot.
- Blend in the arrowroot if you want a thicker soup.
- Pour the cream mixture back into the soup, stirring until well-blended.
- Just before serving, add the minced parsley and cilantro.
- Ladle into wide, deep soup bowls.
- Make sure each bowl has a chunk of potato, a piece of chicken, a couple of carrots and a piece of corn.