Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: dLife Chef Michel Nischan
- Prep Time: about 30 minutes | Cook Time: 4 1/2 to 9 hours
- Servings: 8
- 1 can (about 14 oz) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 8 oz frozen cut okra
- 2 cups chopped green bell peppers
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- ¾ cup sliced celery
- 1 cup fat-free, reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb chicken tenders, cut up
- 1½ tsp sugar substitute
- ¾ tsp Creole seasoning
- hot pepper sauce (optional)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Lightly coat 3½- to 4-quart slow cooker liner with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add tomatoes, okra, bell peppers, onions, celery, broth, Worcestershire sauce, thyme and bay leaf.
- Cover; cook on low 9 hours or on high 4½ hours.
- Heat oil in 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- Add chicken; cook,stirring frequently, 6 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add chicken to slow cooker, along with remaining ingredients except parsley.
- Increase slow cooker temperature to high.
- Cook 15 minutes.
- Stir in parsley.
- The okra does not need to be thawed.
- To help ensure even cooking, I like to have the slow-cooker liner at least half full, but not more than two-thirds full.
- I add seared chicken last so it doesn't overcook. Searing the chicken in olive oil first adds flavor.
- I also add a little sweetener to the slow cooker to counteract acids in the tomatoes.
Nutritional information Edit
Per servings size: ⅛ of recipe
- 95 Calories | 23% Calories from Fat | 3g Total Fat Sat. | <1g Fat | 9g Carbs | 3g Fiber | 10g Protein | 21mg Cholesterol | 87mg Sodium
- Exchanges: 1 Lean Meat | 2 Vegetable