Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Stewart Estate in Quinlan, Texas in 1994.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1 small white onion finely chopped
- 2 green peppers finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup cream
- Cut tomatoes in half crosswise and put cut side up on a baking sheet then sprinkle with onion, peppers, salt and cayenne.
- Put 1 teaspoon bacon drippings over each tomato.
- Put ½ cup water in the pan and bake at 425°F for 15 minutes.
- Heat remaining bacon drippings and brown flour in it then add milk, cream and liquid from the pan then stir until boiling and cook 3 minutes longer.
- Dish tomatoes on toast squares and pour sauce around them.