This is a quick, flavorful sauce everybody can enjoy on eggs and meat. Makes 2 cups.
Recipes for Better Nutrition During Cancer Treatment by the National Cancer Institutes, public domain government resource—original source of recipe Cook Time: About 45 minutes
- ½ small onion, sliced
- 1 or 2 frying peppers ( 1 bell pepper) cleaned and sliced
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes or 1 can (15 oz) tomatoes
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in a bit of water
- Fry onion and peppers in oil until onion is clear and pepper is spotted with brown.
- Add tomatoes, salt, sugar, and vinegar.
- Bring to boiling, turn down to simmer.
- Cover and cook at least 20 minutes to blend the flavors.
- Thicken just before serving with cornstarch dissolved in a little water.