Makes 6 servings
- 1 large green bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1½ cups sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 x 14½- to 16-ounce can tomatoes, chopped (2 cups)
- 1 x 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon powdered thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1½ pounds fillets of flounder or other white fish
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- Cook green pepper and onions with tops in butter until tender.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, 1 teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, thyme and bay leaf.
- Simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Arrange fillets in lightly buttered shallow baking pan.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon sauce over fillets.
- Bake at 375 degrees 15 minutes or until flakes easily with fork.
- Serve over beds of rice.