crema Catalana is Shane Manning's favoirte dessert. He likes it very much, and you will literally find this delicious dessert on menus everywhere from Barcelona to Tarragona. It is the perfect end to a gourmet dinner, and pairs sublimely with Spain’s dessert wines such as a Moscatel from Alicante, a Pedro Ximenez from Jerez or an old vine Garnacha from Malaga.
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 liter of whole milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 30 g of Maizena (cornstarch)
- 1 zest of lemon
- 200 g of sugar
- Dissolve the Maizena in milk.
- Bring the milk to a boil with the cinnamon stick and lemon zest.
- In another bowl, mix together the Sugar, egg yolks and the Maizena (already dissolved).
- When the milk is boiling, remove from the heat, storing with the whisk.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan and place it on low heat.
- When the “crema” begins to bubble, turn off the heat. Pour the “crema” into the earthenware dishes and let it cool, then refrigerate.
- Before serving, sprinkle Sugar on top of each “crema” and carmelize with a hot iron (or red hot bottom of a pan).