Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Creamy Polenta with Cherry Tomato Relish from the Public Health Cookbook by the Seattle & King County Department of Public Health—original source of recipe, public domain government resource Serves: 8
- 6 cups cherry tomatoes
- Low fat cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup shallots, sliced
- 1½ tablespoons sugar
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- 1½ teaspoons salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 cup dry polenta
- ½ cup shaved fresh Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 °F.
- Spray a shallow roasting pan with low fat cooking spray.
- Cut slits at bottom of each cherry tomato then place stem-side down in roasting pan.
- Bake at 425 °F for about 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 375 °F and continue to bake for another 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven, cover with aluminum foil and let stand for about 10–15 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add shallots and sauté 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add white wine, reduce to medium-low heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add ½ teaspoon of the salt and the pepper.
- Remove from heat, stir in tomatoes, cover and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, add milk and water and bring to a boil then remove from heat.
- Gradually add dry polenta while stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Cover and cook for 2 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt, cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until polenta reaches a thick consistency, stirring occasionally.
- Pass the tomato relish and Parmesan shavings at the table.