Creamy Polenta with Cherry Tomato Relish from the Public Health Cookbook by the Seattle & King County Department of Public Health—original source of recipe, public domain government resource Serves: 8
- 6 cups cherry tomatoes
- Low fat cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup shallots, sliced
- 1½ tablespoons sugar
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- 1½ teaspoons salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 cup dry polenta
- ½ cup shaved fresh Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 °F.
- Spray a shallow roasting pan with low fat cooking spray.
- Cut slits at bottom of each cherry tomato then place stem-side down in roasting pan.
- Bake at 425 °F for about 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 375 °F and continue to bake for another 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven, cover with aluminum foil and let stand for about 10–15 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add shallots and sauté 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add white wine, reduce to medium-low heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add ½ teaspoon of the salt and the pepper.
- Remove from heat, stir in tomatoes, cover and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, add milk and water and bring to a boil then remove from heat.
- Gradually add dry polenta while stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Cover and cook for 2 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt, cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until polenta reaches a thick consistency, stirring occasionally.
- Pass the tomato relish and Parmesan shavings at the table.