- Serves 4
- 30 g (1 oz) butter
- 1 shallot chopped
- 1 tbsp flour
- 570 ml (1pt) medium dry white wine
- 280 ml (½) double cream
- 110 g (4 oz) thickly sliced ham diced
- 230 g (8 oz) peas
- 1 little lettuce shredded
- salt and pepper
- Melt the butter until it starts to foam.
- Add the shallot and cook until soft but not coloured.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the flour.
- Don't return the pan to the heat.
- Add the wine very gradually, waiting until it has all been absorbed before adding more add the cream the same way.
- Return the pan to the heat and bring to the boil, stirring all a the time.
- Add the ham and peas, cover with a lid and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the lettuce and remove the pan from the heat.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the cubes of bread until they're crisp and golden.
- Drain on kitchen paper.
- Season the soup, spoon into bowl and sprinkle with croutons.