- 1 1/2 lbs. asparagus spears, trimmed
- 1 1/2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped shallots (about 10)
- 1/2 lb. boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- Coarsely ground black pepper for garnish
2. In medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring often, until beginning to brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Add potatoes, cut-up asparagus and 4 cups water. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Add bouillon and 1 teaspoon salt. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in wide, deep pot of lightly salted boiling water, blanch reserved asparagus spears until just tender, about 3 minutes. Using slotted spoon, remove spears to colander and rinse under cold running water, drain well and set aside.
4. In food processor or blender, process soup in batches until smooth and creamy. Return to pot and add freshly ground pepper to taste and lemon juice. Adjust salt to taste. Garnish with asparagus spears and ground black pepper. Serve hot.