- 1 cup hulled uncooked red lentils, well rinsed
- 4 cups nonfat vegetable stock
- 1 cup carrot juice
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 6 large apricots
- 2 tsp ground cumin, or to taste
- 2 tsp garlic powder, or to taste
- 1 tsp onion powder, or to taste
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ⅓ cup toasted cashews, coarsely chopped, for garnish, optional
- ½ cup cilantro leaves, for garnish
- ½ cup dried apricots, coarsely chopped, for garnish
- Put lentils and vegetable stock into a large saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover pan and continue cooking for about 15 minutes more, or until lentils are tender.
- Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Put 1 cup cooked lentils, carrot juice, yogurt, apricots, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper into a blender or food processor, and process until smooth.
- Pour mixture back into pan, and reheat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- To serve, ladle about 1¼ cups soup into individual bowls, and garnish with cashews, if using, cilantro leaves and apricots.