This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Weir Estate in Canton, Texas in 1990.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 20 ounces frozen chopped spinach thawed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg freshly ground or grated
- ½ cup parmigiano reggiano freshly grated
- ½ cup romano freshly grated
- ⅔ cup fontina shredded
- ⅔ cup panko
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Lightly grease a glass or ceramic loaf pan.
- Mix together all of the different cheeses then set aside.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the butter and olive oil.
- Once the butter has melted and the oils are hot add the shallot and garlic to the pan.
- Sweat the shallot and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream and nutmeg to the pan and raise the heat to medium high.
- Allow mixture to reduce for 5 minutes.
- While cream is reducing place thawed spinach into a clean dish towel and ring out as much of the water as you can.
- Add the spinach, nutmeg and ½ of cheese mixture to the reduced cream.
- Stir to combine then season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the creamed spinach into the greased loaf pan.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese mixture evenly over the top of the spinach then do the same with the panko.
- Bake at 450°F for 15 minutes.