Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Ever thought that Prawn & cream might not taste so well in a soup ? Well, forget whatever you thought, when you taste this piece of kitchen-art, straight from the Belgian kitchen ! Instructions require average cooking skills. Enjoy !
- 50g/2oz butter
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Stick celery, finely chopped
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 3 Large tomatoes, chopped
- 450g/1 lb Large Raw Prawns (Shrimps) in shell
- 1.1L/40fl.oz. Hot water
- 120ml/4fl.oz. Dry white wine
- 1 bouquet garni
- 210ml/7fl.oz. cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 60ml/2fl.oz. brandy
- 25g/1oz flour
1. Melt half the butter in a large saucepan, add the chopped vegetables and sauté over a low heat for about 10 minutes without browning. 2. Meanwhile, shell the prawns, reserving the shells and heads. 3. Add the prawn shells and heads to the vegetables together with the hot water, wine, bouquet garni and tomatoes. Season with pepper then cover and simmer gently for one hour. 4. At the end of the cooking time, strain the stock through a sieve into a large bowl, pressing the shells and vegetables with a wooden spoon to extract as much of the juice as possible. Set aside. 5. Melt the remainder of the butter in the rinsed out saucepan then add the flour and cook over a medium heat stirring to make a roux. 6. Over a medium heat, add the strained stock a little at a time, stirring well between each addition. Raise the heat, bring to the boil then reduce the heat again and simmer gently for 15 minutes. 7. Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl, beat together the egg yolk and cream. Set aside. 8. After the simmering time, remove the pan from the heat and stir in the egg mixture. 9. Add the prawns and brandy, mix well then return to a very low heat, and heat gently, stirring constantly, for 4–5 minutes until the soup thickens slightly and the prawns are cooked. Do not boil. Serve immediately.