Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
This Y-group is international. Good food from all parts of the world. A place where we can share the wonderful food from all over the world.
- 2 x 14½-ounce cans chicken broth
- ½ cup (½ stick) butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- ½ cup diced celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 1½ cups crushed unsalted tortilla chips
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- 1 cup grated Monterey jack cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- crushed unsalted tortilla chips
- Bring chicken broth to boil in small saucepan over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery and garlic and saute until onion is translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon chopped tomato and 2 tablespoon chives for garnish.
- Add remaining tomato, chives and 1½ cups tortilla chips to saucepan and saute 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon flour over and stir mixture for 2 minutes.
- Stir chicken broth into tortilla mixture.
- Cover and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat.
- Stir in whipping cream.
- Add grated jack and cheddar cheese and stir mixture until cheese is melted and well blended.
- Add chili powder and cumin.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper (Can be prepared 1 day ahead, Cover tightly and refrigerate. Rewarm soup over low heat, stirring frequently).
- Ladle into bowls.
- Sprinkle each with some of reserved tomato and chives and crushed tortilla chips and serve.