Copyright, 2006, Robin Miller, All rights reserved
- 1 French baguette, cut crosswise into ½-inch thick slices
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups steamed broccoli
- 3 cups reduced-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup roasted garlic cloves
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Arrange bread slices on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 6 minutes, until toasted.
- Meanwhile, in a large stock pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery, garlic, carrot, and broccoli.
- Pour broth over vegetables and increase the heat to high.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer 5 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, purée until smooth or you can use a blender.
- Add milk and simmer 1 minute to heat through.
- Purée again.
- Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Using a fork, mash garlic cloves with a pinch each of salt and black pepper, making a thick paste.
- Spread mixture on toasted bread and serve with soup.