Purchased from the McDonald Estate in Wylie, Texas in 1990. Dated 1944. Notation on card indicates this is a family favorite Sunday dinner opener. I made this and thought it was “good”, not “great” but I’m not big on asparagus so might not be the best person to judge it. My sister and sister-in-laws love it.
- 1 pound fresh asparagus
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- Cut asparagus in small pieces.
- Put in heavy pot and cover with cold water.
- Bring water to a boil and simmer for fifteen minutes.
- Add chicken broth.
- Mix flour with butter until smooth.
- Add to soup.
- Bring to a boil.
- Pour mixture into a blender and mix until smooth.
- Return soup to pot.
- Mix egg yolks with the cream and add to the soup.