Make sure the pastry ingredients are well chilled and the custard ingredients are at room temperature. The pastry is partially baked before filling to eliminate an uncooked pastry layer that sometimes can result.
- 2 cups all purpose flour, plus more for rolling (or tart shells)
- 1 TSP salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 10 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into ¼ inch cubes
- 5 to 7 tablespoons ice water
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade, pulse the flour, salt and Sugar to combine.
- Add the butter and pulse until the flour resembles coarse, uneven cornmeal, about 10 1-second pulses.
- Drizzle 5 tablespoons of the ice water over the mixture.
- Pulse several times to work the water into the flour.
- Add the remaining water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and continue pulsing until the mixture develops small curds.
- Turn the dough out onto a work surface, shape it into a disc and cover with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Contributed by Edit
This Y-group is international. Good food from all parts of the world. A place where we can share the wonderful food from all over the world.