Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- From Southern Living
- Makes 8 servings.
- 8 Granny Smith or other variety green apples
- lemon juice
- 4 cups fresh cranberries, finely ground
- ¾ cup orange juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Cut a 1½ inch slice in a scallop pattern from top of each apple; reserve apple tops.
- Hollow each apple to within 1 inch from bottom, leaving a ½ inch shell.
- Spinkle insides of apples with lemon juice.
- Freeze apples overnight.
- Combine fresh cranberries and orange juice, mixing well.
- Set aside.
- Combine 1 cup water and sugar in a heavy saucepan, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in cranberry mixture and 2 tablespoons lemon juice.
- Simmer uncovered, an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Skim off foam, and cool.
- Pour cranberry mixture into freezer can of a 2-quart freezer.
- Freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Mound sorbet into frozen apple shells; place apple tops on side of mound.
- Store in freezer until serving time.