Makes 8 servings.
- 1¼ cups vanilla wafer crumbs (about 36 wafers)
- ⅓ cup butter or margarine, melted
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 3 cups milk, divided
- ½ cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 x 3-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1 x 16-ounce can whole berry cranberry sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Combine crumbs and butter. Press into buttered 9-inch springform pan or pie pan.
- Combine rice, 2½ cups milk, ½ cup sugar and salt in large saucepan.
- Simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently, until thick and creamy, about 15 minutes. just before serving.
- Blend eggs, cheese and remaining ½ cup milk.
- Add to hot rice mixture. Cook 2 minutes more, stirring constantly.
- Stir in remaining ½ teaspoon vanilla. Pour over crust. Chill until firm.
- Combine cornstarch and remaining 3 tablespoons sugar in saucepan.
- Stir in cranberry sauce. Cook, stirring frequently, until clear and thickened.
- Stir in remaining ½ teaspoon vanilla. Cool. Spoon over dessert.