Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
- Makes 12 scones
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- grated zest of 1 large orange
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ sticks(6 ounces) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 heaping cup fresh or frozen cranberries (5 ounces)
- ½ cup chopped pitted dates
- 1 cup cold buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons sugar mixed with ⅛ teaspoon each cinnamon, allspice and mace, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F.
- Line a 15-by-12-inch baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, the ½ cup of sugar; the orange zest, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- 1cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the cranberries and dates and toss.
- Stir in the buttermilk until a stiff dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead gently just until the dough comes together.
- Divide the dough in half and pat each piece into a 7-inch round about ¾-inch thick.
- Sprinkle the tops with the spiced-sugar mixture.
- Using a knife, cut each round into 6 wedges.
- Arrange the wedges ½ inch apart on the baking sheet.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm.