- 1 cup fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup plus 2 Tbs. Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. each ground nutmeg and cinnamon
- Peel of 1 lemon, finely grated
- 1 Tbs. chopped candied ginger (optional)
- 2 Tbs. cold butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- milk and Sugar, for glaze
2. In large bowl, mix remaining 1/3 cup Sugar, flour, baking powder, salt and spices. Mix in lemon peel and ginger if using. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add cranberries, and toss well.
4. On floured cutting board, pat dough into 7-inch circle. Slice dough into 6 or 8 wedges, as you would pie. Reassemble slices in center of baking sheet, leaving 1/4 inch between pieces.
5. Brush scones sparingly with milk, and sprinkle with Sugar. Bake until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool on sheet 1 minute, then loosen scones with spatula. Slide entire batch onto cooling rack. Cool thoroughly before wrapping.