- ½ cup boiling water
- ¼ cup cracked wheat
- 1 package active dry yeast
- ¼ cup warm water
- ⅓ cup skim milk, warm
- ¼ cup margarine
- ¼ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 1 egg
- 2⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup oat bran cereal
- In small bowl pour boiling water over cracked wheat; let stand 15 minutes. Drain excess water; set aside.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- In lare bowl combine milk, margarine, brown sugar, salt, carrot, and egg.
- Add dissolved yeast and cracked wheat. The margarine may not melt completely.
- In small bowl, combine 1 cup of the all-purpose flour and oat bran cereal; add to yeast mixture.
- Add enough remaining all-purpose flour to make a moderately stiff dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead about 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Shape into ball. Grease large bowl. Place dough in bowl turning once to coat surface. Cover; let rise in warm place about 1½ hours or until nearly double in size.
- Grease 9" by 5" loaf pan or coat with vegetable pan-coating.
- Punch dough down; shape into loaf. Place in prepared pan. Cover; let rise in warm place about 1 hour or until nearly double in size.
- Meanwhile heat oven to 375 °F
- Bake 25-30 minutes, shielding crust with aluminum foil after 20 minutes of baking.
- Remove from pan; cool on wire rack.
Nutritional information Edit
food exchanges per serving: 2 starch exchanges