Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Prep Time: n. a.
Cook time: n. a.
Serves: 3 to 4
This risotto has a subtle flavor that makes the most of delicate crab meat. It makes an excellent main course or appetizer. Be sure to use a good quality risotto rice, such as Arborio. It will give a deliciously creamy result, but the cooked rice will still be firm to the bite.
- 2 large cooked crabs (or about 1 - 2 lbs cooked crab meat)
- 1½ cups arborio rice
- 5 cups simmering fish stock
- 2 tbsp mixed finely chopped fresh herbs (chives, tarragon and parsley work well)
- salt and ground black pepper
- If using whole cooked crabs, follow the next 3 steps. If using bulk precooked crab meat, skip to step 5.
- One at a time, hold the crabs and hit the underside with the heel of your hand. This should loosen the shell from the body. Using your thumbs, push against the body and pull away from the shell. Remove and discard the intestines and the grey gills.
- Break off the claws and legs, then use a hammer or crackers to break them open. Using a pick, remove the meat from the claws and legs. Put the meat on a plate and set aside.
- Using a skewer, pick out the white meat from the body cavities and put it with the claw and leg meat, reserving a little of the white meat for a garnish. Scoop out the brown meat from the shell and add to the rest of the crab meat.
- Place the Arborio rice in a pan and add a quarter of the stock. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring continually, until the liquid has been absorbed. Adding a ladleful of stock at a time, cook and stir continually, until about 2/3 of the stock has been absorbed. Stir in the crab meat and herbs and continue cooking, adding the remaining stock.
- When the rice is almost cooked, remove it from the heat and adjust the seasoning. Cover and let it stand for 3 minutes. Serve garnished with the reserved white crab meat along with a glass of good white wine.