Fiber and nutrition are "partners" in these crunchy cookies.
Cook Time: About 35 minutes
- 1 cup soft shortening or margarine
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups quick cooking oatmeal
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts or wheat germ
- 6 oz. chocolate chips
- 1 cup raisins
- Cream shortening, add sugars, and beat well. Add the eggs and vanilla and stir to blend well.
- Add the dry ingredients at one time. Mix to blend thoroughly.
- Last, stir in oatmeal, nuts, chocolate chips, and raisins. Mix well.
- Drop by spoonfuls on cookie sheet and bake for 13–15 minutes in 350° oven. This dough freezes well and can be sliced later to make fresh cookies.
- Cowboy Cookies from Recipes for Better Nutrition During Cancer Treatment by the National Cancer Institute, public domain government resource—original source of recipe