Makes 6 servings.
- 1 cup chopped Onion
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or Bacon drippings
- 3 cups drained cooked pinto beans
- 1 smoked Ham hock
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chiles
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- Cook Onion in oil in large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat until Onion is transparent.
- Add beans, Ham hock, tomato paste, chiles, Sugar, chili powder and water.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 45 minutes.
- Remove Ham hock; cut meat off bone and dice.
- Return meat to beans.
- Serve beans over rice.