This countrified meat dish is made with real fruit, vegetables, cream of chicken soup, and cheese, and is great for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, as it delivers a bold aroma that it provides for the sausage.
- ½ pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 small tart cooking apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 x 10 ¾-ounce can condensed cream of chicken soup
- ¼ cup chicken broth or water
- ½ cup (2 ounces) shredded cheese (Colby, Cheddar, American, Swiss, or Monterey Jack)
- Cook sausage until done in a medium skillet; stir to crumble.
- Pour off fat; return 1 tablespoon to the skillet.
- Add apple, celery, and onion; cook until vegetables are tender crisp.
- Blend in rice, soup and broth; heat thoroughly.
- Sprinkle with cheese and allow to melt before serving. Pair with other pork dishes, if desired.