Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
- 4 cubed steaks
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup finely crushed saltine crackers
- 1 (10¾ oz) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tbsp solid vegetable shortening
- Combine flour and pepper in shallow dish; pour buttermilk into second dish; spread crushed crackers on plate.
- Dredge steaks, one at a time, in seasoned flour; dip into buttermilk, then into crushed crackers to coat thoroughly, pressing with fingertips to adhere.
- Melt shortening in skillet; add steaks; cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Remove meat to platter.
- Stir mushroom soup and milk into drippings in skillet; bring to boil, stirring; remove from heat.
- Serve steaks accompanied by gravy.