Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The national dish of Barbados when eaten with flying fish.
- 4 okras thinly sliced
- 4 cups boiling water
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp butter
- Cook the okras in boiling water for 10 to 12 minutes.
- While they are cooking,mix the corn meal and cold water to a smooth paste.
- When the okras are soft, lower the heat, add salt and corn meal mixture, stirring constantly with a "cou-cou stick" (wooden spoon) until the mixture becomes fairly stiff.
- When mixture breaks away cleanly from the side of the saucepan, the cou-cou is ready.
- butter a bowl, turn the mixture out neatly onto it, shaking it so that it takes on the shape of the bowl.
- Turn it out on to a serving dish, make an indentation in the top and place a knob of butter in it.