Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Makes 4 servings.
- 1¼ pounds catfish or black fish fillets
- 1 whole egg well beaten
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Crust mixture Edit
- ½ cup yellow or white cornmeal
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder or Cajun seasoning to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon light salt, or to taste
- non-fat or canola oil cooking spray
- Preheat the grill.
- If you have a grill with a variable temperature control, set it to medium-high (1 or 2 steps below high) or to about 350°F to 400°F.
- Cut the fish into 4 equal pieces and place in a shallow dish or pie plate.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg, cornstarch, salt and pepper until the cornstarch is dissolved.
- Pour the mixture over the fish.
- Turn the pieces so that both sides of the fish are coated with the egg mixture.
- Use immediately, or cover tightly and refrigerate 20 minutes, or up to 1 hour.
- In a shallow dish use a fork to mix the cornmeal, Cajun seasoning or chili powder, garlic and onion powders and salt, and place the dish near the grill.
- Dip each catfish fillet into the coating mixture so all sides are covered and place on a large plate.
- Spray each fillet lightly on both sides with cooking spray.
- Place fish on the grill and grill 6 to 7 minutes total on a 2-sided contact grill, or 12 to 14 minutes total (6 to 7 minutes on each side) on a hibachi, a combination grill or an infusion grill.
- To test for doneness: check to make sure the fish is opaque in the center, flaky when pricked with the tip of a knife, and that the interior temperature reaches 135°F to 140°F on an instant-read thermometer.
- Top each fillet with a dollop of salsa and sour cream or serve it on the side.