Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 1 medium potato, cut into 0.5 cm dice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 225g (8 oz) blade of beef or rump steak, cut into 1 cm cubes
- 225g (8 oz) plain flour
- 50g (2 oz) butter, diced
- 50g (2 oz) lard, diced
- cold water, to mix
- beaten egg or milk, to glaze
- Pre-heat oven to 220°C / 425°F / gas 7.
- Place the potato, onion and meat in a basin and mix well.
- Place the flour in a bowl. Add the butter and lard, rub in until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add about 2 tablespoons of water and mix to form a firm dough. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead lightly.
- Divide the pastry into 4.
- Roll out each piece to about 15 – 18 cm (6 – 7 inches). Trim by cutting round the edge of a small plate.
- Divide the filling between each round. Brush the edges with water and draw up the pastry on each pasty, in a line over the centre of the filling. Seal well. Flute the edge with your fingers.
- Place the pasties on a baking sheet, fluted edges uppermost. Brush each with a little beaten egg or milk. Bake for 40 – 45 minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve hot or cold.